Monday, December 15, 2008

My Dad, Kev, got a tattoo.




My Dad has often talked about getting a tattoo. He's a thoughtful man and has been deliberate in picking the design. He got some Chinese characters that say China Rose which is a nod to the time that Mum and Dad spent in China (the first two characters are Zhong Guo which is China in Chinese) and also my Mum's chinese name Mei Gui (Rose).

I was very pleased to be his enabler and help to organise to make the thought a reality. So I went to a few tattoo places and I found this guy Pat in Box Hill who has been tattooing for a long time, 23 years, and I went and met him and he was really genuine and hilarious (unintentionally) and so I organised for him to do Dad's tatt. He was a bit suss on the chinese characters and wanted to make sure that we were very confident that it did actually say what we thought. I was a bit concerned about that too but got a few different sources at my work to check it for correct meaning and all was well. Dad picked a font that he liked from some that I got off the net. I love the interwebs it was really easy to get fantastic chinese fonts even to download them from Chinese language sites.

The actual tatt was very fast and Dad was very cool and didn't even say that it hurt all that much. Below is a close up of the characters. I think that it's a very bold and meaningful tattoo that my Dad will love for the rest of his life and it was a pleasure to be involved in the getting of it.



There are times in your life when you realise that something you take for granted like a feeling that has always been there but should really be cherished and when I was with my father this visit I cherished the hell out of him. I was very conscious of how much I love him and I wanted to not let that just be a passive emotion because he's my Dad and of course you love your Dad but a real decisive and powerful memory that I can draw on forever. I also got Matt to take some fantastic huggy pics as follows.



Photos of me and my Dad.

2 comments:

Meagan said...

Very cool:) What did your Mum think?

KatinSpace said...

She thought it was very romantic! and that he was very brave.